Monday, December 16, 2019

I FLUNKED OUT OF PHYSICAL THERAPY



About a week ago, I was shoveling some slush out in the driveway and when I flung a shovelful of it into the woods, I felt something in my back twist just below my left shoulder blade. The shooting pain that ensued in my neck and shoulder felt as if someone had just tried to skewer me for shish-kebab.  Even taking a deep breath hurt. I whined for a little while, then convinced myself it would be fine the next day.

It wasn’t.  In fact, the next morning I couldn’t even move my arm high enough to comb my hair or zip the back of my shirt.  I whined some more.

“Why don’t you go to the doctor and have it checked out?” one of my friends suggested. “You don’t want to lose the use of your arm, do you?”

 “It’s been only one day,” I said. “I’ll wait and see how it feels.” 

The truth was that even if the pain increased to point where I’d have to go out and buy a box of bullets just so I could bite down on one, I still wouldn’t see a doctor.  Why not?  Two words:  physical therapy.

Back when I was in my late 20s, I took a modern-dance class and ended up with a very sore hip.  In fact, the hip became so painful, I had to use a cane to get around.  Finally, after I’d nearly depleted the local pharmacy's total inventory of ibuprofen, I decided I’d better have a doctor take a look at my hip.  He gave me a series of cortisone injections directly into the hip joint, but they didn’t have any effect (other than to make me beg for mercy), so he decided to send me to physical therapy.  

I'll admit I felt uneasy about going because I didn't know what to expect.  I mean, I had visions of being twisted into a pretzel or being stretched on a torture device like "the rack." 

My therapist was a young guy named Phil, who told me he’d been on the job for less than a week. The fact that he was a rookie did little to ease my apprehension, but even worse, he looked even more nervous than I did.  His trembling hands and the little beads of perspiration lining his top lip pretty much were a dead giveaway.

Phil avoided touching me at all costs, which I thought was pretty weird for a physical therapist.  If his hand accidentally brushed against me while he was showing me how to do an exercise, he would yank it away so fast, you’d think I had just delivered 100,000 volts to it.  Somehow I wasn’t all that surprised when three days into my therapy, Phil mysteriously disappeared and was replaced by Joanne.

I’m pretty sure Joanne had been an army drill-sergeant in a previous life.  Unlike Phil, she was a take-charge kind of person who was determined to have me doing kicks worthy of the Rockettes in no time flat.  Five sessions later, however, when I still came limping in with my cane, Joanne began to lose her optimism.

“I’m going to send you to hydrotherapy,” she announced. “Basically, that’s where you sit in a big whirlpool tub and have jets of water spray onto your sore spots.  So be sure to bring your bathing suit next time.”

The whirlpool tub sounded like a great idea to me, but not the swimsuit. I didn’t even own one, and with my bad hip, I certainly didn’t feel like going out shopping for one.  I decided I’d bring a pair of old shorts and a halter-top and use those instead.

The night before my first hydrotherapy session, I was feeling a little nervous, so I decided to do something to take my mind off it.  Did I do something normal, like bake brownies or watch a comedy show on TV?  Heck, no.  I dyed my long, reddish-brown hair jet black!   Thank goodness I used a semi-permanent dye instead of a permanent one, because I ended up looking like a cross between an out-of-shape Cher and Morticia Addams.

The next day at therapy, I was led to a big stainless-steel tub, churning with bubbles. Unfortunately, I’d remembered to bring my shorts, but not a top. The only top I had with me was the one I was wearing, and I wasn’t about to use that…not unless I wanted to leave looking like a contestant in a wet T-shirt contest.  The therapist gave me a hospital johnny to wear over my shorts.  Believe me, I wasn’t a pretty sight.

I started to climb into the tub and was straddling the edge when the hydrotherapist came dashing over. “What on earth are you doing?” she gasped.

Even though I thought it was pretty obvious, I shrugged and said, “Getting into the tub.”

“You can’t do that!” she said, shaking her head. “WE have to put you into the tub!”

Before I knew it, I was hanging from a crane-like mechanism directly above the tub.  All I could think about as they lowered me into the water was how much I must have looked like a cow in one of those contraptions helicopters used when they hoisted large animals off the ground.   

The warm water felt heavenly.  I closed my eyes and completely relaxed as the pulsating water hit all of my achy parts.  But the soak didn’t last nearly long enough.  Too soon, I was lifted out of the water, my dripping johnny nearly transparent and feeling as if it weighed about 10 pounds.

The therapist handed a fluffy white towel to me.  I dried my face and the ends of my hair with it, and then heard her gasp.  I followed her eyes, which were staring at the white towel. To my horror, it was covered with big streaks of black hair dye…and, I soon discovered, so was the johnny.

I was so embarrassed, I never showed my face in that place again.

You know, now that I’m sitting here reminiscing about my physical therapy experience, my shoulder and back miraculously are feeling much better.


#   #   #


CLICK HERE ==> https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/384106












No comments:

Post a Comment