Friday, December 23, 2022

I DID MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING EARLY THIS YEAR BUT...


 

I did my Christmas shopping early this year so I wouldn’t end up frantically rushing around at the last minute and buying things like a sequined halter-top for my 83-year-old friend because it was the only thing in her size left on the rack.

Unfortunately, even though I set a personal record for buying gifts early, my Christmas shopping wasn’t flawless…not by any means.

For example, I ordered a size M shirt with a small pattern on it for a friend, and when it arrived, it looked nothing like the photo. The pattern was so huge, it could be seen from the opposite end of the house, and the button-down collar turned out to be non-existent. Instead, the shirt had a V-neck down to the navel. All I could picture was my friend wearing it with his chest hairs exposed and several gold chains around his neck, like the styles back in the 1970s.

I contacted the company and told them the shirt looked nothing like their advertisement, and was informed they don’t accept returns or give refunds – a "minor" detail I should have read before I placed the order.

So I’m now the proud owner of a $30 dust rag.

It seems as if every Christmas season I’m disappointed with something I ordered that looked much better online. One item that immediately comes to mind is the hand-tooled, monogrammed copper wastebasket I ordered a few years ago after seeing it in a catalog that featured handcrafts from Cape Cod. It was the perfect gift, I’d thought, for our friend Gregory, who’d recently remodeled his office and accented it with a lot of brown leather furniture and accessories.

So I ordered it, with the monogram “G” on it, which also happened to be the initial of his last name.

The wastebasket arrived two weeks later in an old cardboard box that wasn’t even sealed. The flaps were folded in an over-and-under way that kept them closed, but nothing was sealed.

That should have been an immediate red flag to me. Anyone who’s ever mailed a package knows it should be sealed with at least half a roll of shipping tape to give the contents even a fighting chance of surviving.

When I pulled the wastebasket out of the box, let's just say I didn't "oooh!" with delight. But it wasn't because the wastebasket had been damaged in transit...it was because it looked as if the guy who’d made it had downed a few pitchers of martinis before doing the hand-tooling work.

I held it up to show my husband. “What does this monogram look like to you?” I asked.

He studied it for a moment. “A lopsided number six.”

The copper on the wastebasket also had been polished…in about 30 different directions. So many different swirls, lines, zigzags and spirals were covering it, it looked as if it had been savagely attacked by an army of Brillo pads.

“What are all those dents along the bottom of it?” my husband asked.

 I frowned. “They’re not dents. I think they are supposed to be some kind of decorative border.”

“Oh,” he said, returning my frown.

That did it.

“I can’t give Gregory a gift that looks all scratched up and dented, and especially not with a crooked number six on it instead of a ‘G’!” I whined. 

“He’s only going to toss trash into it,” my husband said, shrugging. “It’ll probably look crummy in no time anyway.”

“Then why don’t I just fill it with trash before I send to him and give him the full effect right away!” I snapped.

Needless to say, I was too embarrassed to give the wastebasket as a gift to anyone, not even to my dogs (who probably would have peed on it), It now sits down in the basement where I'm pretty sure it has become a ritzy copper home for the spiders – hopefully, Garden spiders (sorry, I couldn’t resist!).

This year while ordering Christmas gifts, I decided to splurge on a gift for myself – a “magic screen” that supposedly reflects any photographic image you place in front of it onto a sheet of paper so you can trace the image and turn it into a "professional looking" cartoon. I thought it would be an asset for illustrating my books.

This is one of my best efforts so far, which I traced from a greeting card.

 

I have the sneaking suspicion the magic screen was what the guy who made the wastebasket used when he did the monogramming.

 

#   #  #

 

I want to wish a very merry Christmas, happy holiday season and happy New Year to all of my readers!  Thank you for your continued support and for being a part of my online “family." Sending love to all!

 

FREE E-BOOKS!











 


No comments:

Post a Comment