Tuesday, March 1, 2022

GIVE ME A HOME WHERE THE BUFFALO DON'T ROAM

 

My late husband’s birthday was a couple weeks ago and it made me think about all of the times I tried to get him a special gift that would make him so excited, he’d want to dance a jig.

Most of the time, however, I failed miserably, even though I always had the best of intentions.

But one of those attempts came to mind the other day as I was thinking about his birthday.

Back in 2005, Pam, my pen pal in Scotland, sent an e-mail telling me she’d thought of the perfect birthday gift for him. She said she wanted to adopt a bison in his name.

You see, my husband was a rabid collector of anything and everything that had to do with buffalo or bison. In fact, our formerly all-colonial house had so many statues, pictures, sculptures, wall hangings, artifacts, paintings, etc. of bison crammed into it, you’d think we were living on the Ponderosa.

As visions of a big buffalo bull grazing on our front lawn filled my mind, I asked Pam how and where she planned to adopt the animal. She explained that the adoption was more like a sponsorship, and the buffalo would stay where it was (thank goodness).

She added that she’d done an Internet search and had found a zoo not too far from New Hampshire that had nothing but buffalo in it. She said she thought it might be a good place to start.

I was certain that if such an all-buffalo zoo did indeed exist somewhere near here, my husband already would have pitched a tent there and been living among the beasts.

“What zoo is it?” I asked her.

“It’s called the Buffalo Zoo!” she said.

I couldn’t help but laugh. I really hated to burst her bubble, but I had to tell her that Buffalo was the city in which the zoo was located, not a zoo filled with buffalo.

She then asked me if maybe I could help her find a place in America that offered buffalo adoptions. She said it would be easier if I handled everything at my end and then she’d just send me the money for it.

“I’m willing to go as high as $80,” she said.

Well, there was no way I was going to let her spend that kind of money on a birthday gift, so I set out to search the Internet for a place that not only offered buffalo adoptions, but cheap buffalo adoptions. I immediately found the Adopt-A-Bison Program in Oklahoma, listed through an organization called the Nature Conservancy. I contacted them, only to be informed that they weren’t conducting the program any more. They did, however, ask me if I’d like to adopt a coral reef to help save the environment.

After what seemed like hours more of online searching, I came across a place called the Dickerson Zoo in Springfield, Missouri. It offered adoptions for only $30. The package included a personalized, official certificate of adoption, an actual photo of the adopted animal, an information sheet, periodic newsletters, a free pass to the zoo and more. Excited, I printed out the adoption form, filled in the information, wrote out a check and mailed everything to the zoo.

Three days later, I received a phone call. “Hello,” a woman’s voice, sounding just a bit uneasy, said. “I’m calling from the Dickerson Park Zoo in Missouri. You filled out an adoption form for a bison?”

“That’s right,” I said brightly.

“Well, um, we don’t have any bison here,” she said. “I mean, I’ve worked here for years and we’ve never had a bison!”

 “Are you sure?” I asked, as if the poor woman somehow had overlooked a 2,000-pound bison all those years.

“Positive. Can I interest you in another animal? Perhaps a nice black bear?”

“No, but thank you,” I said, my tone doing little to conceal my disappointment. “It has to be a buffalo. My husband loves buffalo…and it’s his birthday.”

 “Oh. I’m really sorry we can’t help you,” she said. “I’ll be sure to return your check.”

About a half-hour after I hung up, I turned on my computer and there was an e-mail message from the woman I’d just spoken with on the phone. She felt so bad for my poor bison-less birthday boy, she sent me a list of places where she thought I might be able to adopt a bison.

I eagerly checked out each one. The prices ranged from $100 all the way up to $500 for an adoption. I was just about to give up on the whole idea and tell my pen pal to just buy my husband a bison figurine and he’d be thrilled. But then I checked out the last place on the list; the Adopt a Species program at the National Zoo in Washington, DC.

The website said that for a donation, I could adopt any animal from the zoo’s list and get a personalized certificate of adoption, a photo, fact sheet and six issues of the zoo’s newsletter. And best of all, when I checked their list of the many creatures available for adoption…from a giant hissing cockroach to a white-cheeked gibbon…there was the American buffalo! I think I actually had a tear in my eye when I saw it.

Quickly, I filled out the adoption form, wrote a check and sent everything to the zoo. And then, because the list had said, “subject to change,” I held my breath. I figured that with my luck, the zoo probably had only one arthritic, toothless old buffalo and it would drop dead the day after I mailed the application.

A week later, a packet arrived from the zoo. The certificate of adoption had my husband’s name professionally printed in calligraphy on it, and there was a beautiful photo of “his” buffalo along with a fact sheet and a copy of “Zoogoer” magazine.

Pam was thrilled when I told her that her gift idea finally had been fulfilled, and just in time for my husband’s birthday.

And when my husband opened his gift, he was so excited to be part owner of a genuine bison, he was ready to hop the next flight to Washington, DC just so he could make sure his new “son” was being treated well.

I was pleased to see him so thrilled about a gift, but the fact remained that even though I'd done all of the footwork, it technically was a gift from Pam, not me, which was disappointing... especially when he didn’t seem even half as excited about the painting of a buffalo I’d paid $20 to a local artist to paint for him.

The fact that the buffalo looked as if it had been the victim of some horrible, disfiguring accident, or the artist had painted it while wearing a blindfold and holding the paintbrush in his teeth shouldn’t have mattered.

After all, it's the thought that counts.


#   #   # 

Sally Breslin is an award-winning syndicated humor columnist who has written regularly for newspapers and magazines all of her adult life. She is the author of several novels in a variety of genres, from humor and romance to science fiction. Contact her at: sillysally@att.net









No comments:

Post a Comment