Monday, March 23, 2020

MY APTITUDE TEST REVEALED SOMETHING I NEVER EXPECTED




Sometimes events in life (especially mine) can be so ironic they're scary. A good example of such irony happened to me a few weeks ago.

I was checking my e-mail while eating lunch, when an offer for a free aptitude test suddenly popped up on the screen. "Take this test now, and find out which career you are best suited for," it read. "Haven't you ever wondered?"

Actually, I had. Curiosity got the better of me.  I decided to take the test.

The questions were fairly simple at first, but as I went along, they became more and more confusing: "If Mary is older than Susan and Susan is younger than Kelly, is Kelly older than Mary?"

My first instinct was to write down, “Who cares?” But I decided to give the test my best shot, mainly because I was curious to see what my true calling in life was meant to be. It took me 45 minutes to complete the test.  The computer screen then read, "Please wait while we calculate your score and determine your ideal career."

As I sat waiting, all sorts of thoughts crossed my mind. Would the results tell me I should be a novelist?  A talk-show host?  A stand-up comedian? I could hardly wait to find out. This, I was certain, would be the proof I needed to confirm what I’d always felt I’d been destined to be.

When the screen finally displayed my ideal occupation, my mouth fell open and my eyes grew wide in disbelief.  It said that the perfect career for me (and I swear this is the absolute truth) was an auto mechanic!  "You have a natural ability for tinkering with and repairing anything mechanical," it said.

I burst out laughing! Ironically, my dad had been a terrific auto mechanic just about all of his life. But me?  I could think of a million other things I’d rather touch than something covered with oil and grease. And as far as being mechanically inclined, it had taken me over a week just to figure out how to work the electric can-opener.

After I stopped laughing, I actually became a bit upset. I mean, I had wasted 45 perfectly good minutes of my time taking what had turned out to be a pitifully inaccurate test.

The next day, I had an appointment and decided to arrive early for a change. As I backed my car out of the garage, I noticed that it felt as if I were trying to steer a concrete truck. I also heard a scraping noise coming from underneath. I stopped the car in the driveway and got out to check things out.  There sat one of the flattest tires I’d ever seen.

I groaned.  I was a great mechanic all right. The only way I knew how to change a tire was to call AAA and have them do it, so I grabbed my phone.

“We can be there in about four hours,” the person who answered said, “We’re dealing with a lot of calls today due to some icing on the secondary roads.”

“Four hours?” I practically whined. “I have to make it to an appointment in an hour!”

“Sorry,” the person said.

I decided to try my neighborhood group on Facebook and post a desperate plea for someone who might be available to help me change the tire. One by one, I watched person after person read my my post…and then ignore it.  When the "seen by" total hit 27 without even one response, I muttered a lot of unpleasant things and deleted the post.

The thought did cross my mind that if the aptitude test had been right, I’d have been whipping off the old tire and slapping on the spare one in the blink of an eye, and still would have been able to make my appointment with time to spare. But there I stood in my driveway, glaring at the tire and wanting to give it a swift kick in its lug nuts.

Suddenly, a handsome young man came walking up my driveway. I had no idea who he was, but he was smiling, which was a good sign.

“Someone need a tire changed?” he asked. “I’m Brandon, your new neighbor, and I’m here to help.”

I felt like charging at him and crushing him in a bear hug, I was so relieved. Instead, I just frowned and pointed at the rubber pancake on my car’s wheel.

“Yep! That’s definitely flat,” he said and immediately set to work. “Where’s your jack and your lug wrench?” 

“Good question,” I answered, shrugging. A lug wrench could have been lying in the driver's seat,  for all I knew

My car is a hatchback, so there’s no trunk. I honestly never had wondered before where the stuff – like the spare tire – was hidden. Brandon lifted the carpeting on the floor of the hatchback to reveal a compartment that contained a tiny donut-looking tire.

I giggled. “You think that puny little thing is going to make it to Concord?” I asked him.

“Sure,” he said, “as long as you don’t go any faster than 50.”

His search revealed another compartment to the side of the tire one. It contained the jack and lug wrench.

Removing the lug nuts, which appeared to have been welded onto the wheel and then super-glued on top of it, required a lot of strength and muscle on Brandon’s part. And I stood there and watched every flex of his biceps and every sway of his hips as he struggled.  It was the most entertainment I’d had in a long time – nearly more than my aging old heart could bear. 

And soon (too soon) the spare tire was firmly in place. I didn’t know whether to be happy…or disappointed. 

“I can’t thank you enough,” I said to Brandon. “You’re my knight in shining armor!”

He flashed me a smile worthy of the best toothpaste commercial. “No problem. And if you need anything else, you know where to find me. Just give me a shout.”

Now, I’m even more certain than ever that I’d never want to be a mechanic, even though I have a gut feeling that something else on my car is going to stop working very soon – like maybe someone “accidentally” will leave the headlights turned on all night and the battery will need to be jump-started.

By Brandon and his biceps.



#   #   #

Sally Breslin is an award-winning humor columnist and the author of “There’s a Tick in my Underwear!” “Heed the Predictor” and “The Common-Sense Approach to Dream Interpretation." Contact her at: sillysally@att.net.











No comments:

Post a Comment