Tuesday, January 15, 2019

CHRISTMAS GIFTS I THOUGHT WERE GOOD IDEAS AT THE TIME





Every Christmas season, I come up with what I think are unique and unusual gift ideas. And every Christmas season, I end up having to return a few gifts before I even give them.

This Christmas season was no different.

You’d think I’d have learned my lesson from past disasters. For example, there was the wood carving of a buffalo I had specially made one Christmas for my husband, the buffalo collector. Unfortunately, the artist never had carved a buffalo before, so the end result looked like something that had been in some horrible, disfiguring accident.

Still, the artist was so proud of his work, I couldn’t bring myself to offend him, so I ended up forking over a small fortune for it…and then hid the buffalo in the back of the closet where, to this day, it still remains. I doubt that even a nest of hungry termites would want it...probably because they would be too busy pointing at it and laughing.

And then there was the round tablecloth I had a woman crochet for my mother’s dining-room table. It looked beautiful and I was very pleased with it. My mother also loved it, but when she put it on her table, we discovered that the center of the tablecloth wouldn’t lie flat. We tried stacking books on it, ironing it and starching it, but still the center continued to rise as if it were part of Houdini’s magic act. We were tempted to bring it outside and beat it down with a stick.

Another gift disaster occurred when I asked the glass blower at a mall if he could make a tiny bowling pin and bowling-ball figurine for my mother, who was an avid bowler and collected blown-glass items. He assured me it would be no problem. A week later, the masterpiece was ready, so I rushed to the mall, excited to see it. When the glass blower handed it to me, I just silently stared at it, unable to speak. The bowling pin and ball looked exactly like a turkey drumstick and a baked potato. I honestly thought it was a replica of someone’s lunch.

And I’ll never forget the gift I bought for our friend who collected pocket watches. The watch had wood trimming encircling the face and came in a matching wooden case. I decided to have the back of the watch engraved with, “TO BILL, CHRISTMAS 2005.”

A week before Christmas, I picked up the watch. The back read, “TO BULL, CHRISTMAS 2005.”

I wasn’t quite as creative this past Christmas season, however, which I felt was a much safer route to take. Still, ordering items online had its own consequences.

There was the scrolled picture-frame I ordered for a beautiful photo of a rose I’d bought months before. The frame arrived and was perfect, but the glass in it was so thick and heavy, it was guaranteed to bend any hook, nail or stick-up product anyone tried to hang it on, and inevitably would send the frame crashing to the floor. I had visions of the person I was giving the picture to lying in a pool of blood with a shard of glass sticking out of her jugular.

Also, the photo that came with the frame, a scene taken in England, actually looked a lot better than my photo of the rose. So I removed the glass and left the frame and photo the way they were.  My friend loved them.

Another friend of mine, who is an artist, really likes a certain brand of marking pens that cost about $7 per pen. I saw a set of four online for $19, which was a bargain, so I ordered them for her. Two days later, I received an email from the company.

“We have shipped your marking pens,” it said, “but the plastic case they come in doesn’t have any product labels on it – they fell off. And we don’t have any others.”

When I gave the pens to my friend, I could tell by her expression that she thought they probably were $1 knock-offs of the original markers.

And then there is my friend, Colleen, who loves cats, warm socks and gardening. So I bought her a plant-growing kit and some socks with little cats on them.

She bought me some socks with little cats and dogs on them...and a plant-growing kit.       


All I can say is great minds think alike.



                                                      #   #   #



CLICK HERE ===>https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/384106









                                                                    



No comments:

Post a Comment