Monday, March 19, 2018

SOME SUPERSTITIONS HAVE CURSED ME




I like to think I’m not a superstitious person, but the truth is, I really am.

There are some superstitions that don’t bother me, such as Friday the 13th. If it truly were a day of bad luck, then everyone on the planet would have a crummy day, which seems highly unlikely to me. In fact, I know a lot of people who consider 13 to be their lucky number.

But for those who do fear Friday the 13th, be aware that if the first day of a month falls on a Sunday, there will be a Friday the 13th during that month. So this year, April and July will be the designated “unlucky” ones.

I’ve also never been concerned about walking under a ladder – unless there’s a guy perched on top of it and he’s holding a bucket of paint. Picturing him losing his balance and dousing me with a heavy coating of “sunshine yellow” usually is enough to make me walk around a ladder.

And I can remember back when I was in grammar school and one of the kids told me about, “step on a crack and break your mother’s back.”  I was horrified. As I walked home from school that day, I looked down at every crack on the sidewalk, being very careful not to step on any. Alas, my big foot finally landed on a crack and I burst out crying, thinking I’d arrive home to find my mother lying immobile and in pain on the floor, all because I’d stepped on a crack. Fortunately, my mom was just fine, so that immediately dispelled that superstition.

But there are three superstitions that always have made me feel ill at ease.

First, there’s the superstition that if a black cat crosses your path, you’ll have bad luck. Well, years ago, one of my neighbors owned a black cat and it crossed my path nearly every time I left the house.  It got to the point where whenever I saw that darned cat coming toward me, I’d either run (or drive) in the other direction to avoid having it walk directly in front of me.

“If the cat has even a few white hairs on it, then it’s not considered a true black cat and doesn’t cause bad luck,” one of my friends informed me. “Have you ever checked under its chin or on its chest? If it has any white hairs, that’s where they’ll most likely be.”

So I sat out on my front steps one day and lured the cat over to me by waving some fried chicken at it. Then, as the cat nibbled on the chicken, I took a good look at its chest and saw three distinct white hairs standing out against the black. I breathed a sigh of relief. The cat wasn’t a genuine black cat after all, so I was safe!  I never avoided the animal again after that, even though I did realize there was the remote possibility those three white hairs might have fallen out at some point and transformed him back into a bad-luck cat.

There also was the superstition about spilled salt causing bad luck. But in this case, the bad luck supposedly could be prevented if you immediately threw a pinch of the spilled salt over your left shoulder to, according to legend, blind the invisible devil waiting there behind you.

Well, over the years, I spilled enough salt to fill a shaker the size of a trash barrel. And every time I spilled it, I’d toss a pinch of it over not one, but both of my shoulders, just to be doubly safe. I mean, how was I supposed to be certain about which side of my back the invisible devil might be lurking?

The problem was, I once spilled the salt in a restaurant and flung a pinch of it over both shoulders. I wasn’t aware that at that precise moment, the waitress was right behind me, bending over to put my drink on the table. Unless she actually was the devil in disguise, I’m pretty sure I nearly blinded the wrong entity.

But the superstition that actually has brought me ongoing bad luck and has been the bane of my existence for years is the one with the longest bad-luck curse…breaking a mirror.  Any poor person who has the misfortune of breaking a mirror is doomed to face seven long years of torture.

The whole mirror superstition is based on the ancient belief that your reflection in the mirror actually is your captured soul. Break the mirror and basically, you wreck your soul, which, also according to ancient beliefs, then takes seven years to renew itself. Thus, seven years of bad luck follow…until your damaged soul is whole again.

I’ll never forget the first time I broke a mirror. I still was in high school and had signed up for a co-ed judo class at the YMCA. As I was rushing to get ready for the class one evening, I quickly grabbed my small mirror from my purse so I could check my makeup. The next thing I knew, the mirror was lying on the floor and I was picking up the pieces.

During the class that night, the judo instructor taught us the basic moves of throwing and falling. Throwing involved using your hip to catch your opponent off balance, and then tossing him over it and onto the floor. Falling involved protecting yourself (if you were the unfortunate one being thrown) by using your arm, from your wrist to your elbow, as your designated landing zone.

There usually were at least two other females in the class, but that night, I was the only non-male who showed up. So I was paired with a guy (a.k.a. the Incredible Hulk), to practice our throwing and falling techniques.

Not only couldn’t I lift the guy an inch to throw him, and nearly herniated a few disks in the process, when it was his turn to do the throwing and he flung me over his hip, I went airborne…and landed with all of my weight on my right big toe. I think people out on the street heard it crack.

I learned the true definition of the word “humiliation” that night when I had to sit, still wearing my judo outfit, in the emergency room at Sacred Heart Hospital. Even worse, the doctor turned out to be comedian.

“Hey, Kung Fu!” he greeted me, shaking his head and chuckling. “How did you break your toe?”

I wasn’t amused.

Thanks to the broken mirror, my luck got only worse after that.  The toe didn’t heal correctly and needed surgery, so I had to learn how to manipulate crutches on the 10,000 stairs in my high school because nothing was handicapped accessible back then. Also, while I still was recovering, I happened to witness a crime and was subpoenaed to testify in court…on the day of my mid-term exams.

After seven years of suffering with bad luck at every turn, the day arrived when I realized that I, at long last, finally would be free of the curse. My seven-year sentence was over! I was so excited, I nearly broke out the champagne as I counted down the minutes.

And the very next week, I broke another mirror.

If only I had known back then that there actually were antidotes to remove the seven-year curse, such as burying the broken pieces of the mirror outside beneath a full moon, or pulverizing the pieces into a powder so they never could reflect anything again, maybe I wouldn’t have needed a second surgery on my toe or had to hobble around on crutches once again. This inevitably caused me to lose my first full-time job as a Girl Friday – an errand “runner” - in a big office building.

On second thought, maybe that wasn’t such bad luck after all.


#   #   #



CLICK HERE ======>https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/384106




No comments:

Post a Comment